This recipe is really easy and quick to make! If you are looking for a dairy substitute, you should definitely give it a go. You can replace the almonds by any nut you like!
- 2 cups of raw almonds
- 5 cups of filtered water
- Vanilla essence or extract (optional)
- Few drops of natural sweetener such as xylitol or stevia (optional)
- A nut milk bag
- A blender
- A large recipient
- A container to keep your almond milk in the fridge for 3-4 days max.
- Soak the almonds in filtered water overnight in your fridge (at least for 8 hours). Soaking helps to remove or reduce the content of physic acid and tannins as well as neutralising the enzyme inhibitors and promote the production of beneficial enzymes. It makes nuts and almonds easier to digest and improve protein absorption.
- Drain the water
- In your blender, add the nuts, water, vanilla essence and sweetener.
- Strain using the nut milk bag. Pour the mixture through the nut milk bag to filter the pulp. Let the almond milk go through a large recipient underneath.
- Squeeze to remove all the liquid.
You can use the rest of the almond pulp in other recipes such as
Keep in a glass container if possible and shake before using.
Feel free to drink by itself, use it for cooking, pour on top of your cereals or with your tea/coffee…