Eating well makes me happy. I let you imagine how happy I was while traveling at the beginning of the year 😉
Here are 6 keywords or easy principles that we like to apply whenever we can, at home or while disovering the world…
“A well-planned diet delivers adequate nutrients, a balance array of nutrients and an appropriate amount of energy. It is based on nutrient-dense foods, moderate in substances that can be detrimental to health and varied in its selection”
Think about nutrient-dense foods (e.g. fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, nuts, seeds, … ) and eat plenty to provide your body sufficient energy and remain healthy.
It is important to look at the foods we eat and where they come from etc… In some occasions it is not possible to be too picky, in others it is not worth it…
If you are very active during your holiday, make sure to eat enough to meet your energy requirements. On the contrary excesses can also make you feel unwell. It’s then always important to listen to your body and the signs it is trying to send. Lethargy, headaches and bloated tummies are not welcome on your holiday!
Don’t wait to be hungry to look for a place to eat. It’s like going to the supermarket on an empty stomach… The odds of making healthy choices are not in your favour. Sometimes doing your homework beforehand will help you be time efficient. Plan ahead and then when hungry you already know where to go!
Same as above. If you do your homework you do not always have to spend big bucks to eat well. Healthy nutritious meals can definitely be very affordable.
Enjoy your food all the time and indulge occasionally if you feel like it. Remember the 80-20 rule? Be good 80% of the time and be a bit more flexible with the other 20% 🙂
“Variety is the spice of life”… Eat different foods every day and you won’t get bored by your meals.
The Little Chihuahua, San Francisco
Time to get back to my patients in clinic …
Have a lovely day!
Whitney, E, Rolfes, SR, Crowe, T, Cameron-Smith, D & Walsh, A 2011, ‘Understanding Nutrition, Australian & New Zealand Edition, Cengage Learning Australia, Melbourne.